Home sweet Home

Home sweet Home
Palm Trees along the Swan River

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yanchep National Park

Here are the goings-on of the past few days at Yanchep National Park:

Tuesday we arrived at Yanchep and went to the beach for a few hours. The water there is crystal clear and waist deep until you reach a rock barrier about 100 meters out. The barrier is apparently dangerous because little tiny octapi like to hang out there are if you irritate them, they will sting you.
After the beach, we headed back to the hotel we were staying at for dinner and such. We played a quiz game about Australia. They asked us random questions about common Aussy sayings and various cultural things, among other things. My team came in last place :(.
My room mates and I went to bed relatively early..around ten or so. The next morning was an early one. We got up and had to be at breakfast by 645am. We left at 730am to drive about an hour to go surfing!! The waves were really tiny, but it was soo much fun!! They water was really shallow...waist deep for hundreds of meters out and crystal clear. 2 dolphins came within feet of me! I only stood up one time and fell off right away, but I got up to my knees a couple of times, so it's progress!
Afterwards, we went back to the hotel for lunch. After lunch, we had to meet with some counselors from Curtin University for about an hour to talk about safety on the campus. Then, a group of us went to the beach for about 4 hours. I found this really neat shell on the ocean floor so I picked it up and there was a starfish on it! It was really tiny, about the size of a quarter, so I found another shell, stuck him on it, and threw him back. I kept the neat shell for a decoration in my bomb shelter.
After the beach, we ate dinner and played a get-to-know-you game with the group. 2 truths and a lie is the name and the rule. You write 2 truths and a lie about yourself and someone else reads your paper, tries to figure out whose paper it was, and which statement was the lie. I learned some very interesting things about the people on my trip! My room mates and I called it another early night. The sun here really takes all your energy out of you.
Thursday we got to sleep in a little bit. Breakfast was at 8. Afterwards, we went to learn how to throw a spear and boomarang, do an aboriginal dance, and learn about the aboriginies. It was all very interesting!! Once we were done, we ate lunch, packed the vans and headed back to campus.
On Thursdays, Carousal, a relatively large mall a few minutes ride from school, is open late. "Later" is 9pm. We got back around 130pm, so 3 friends and I hoped on the bus and went to the mall. We got some fun stuff like shoes and movies, and headed back to school around 830pm. On the bus ride back, there was a lady sitting in front of me and one of my friends. She was clearly on some kind of drug because shortly into the ride she began talking to herself about absolutely random things. I quote: "They can't f*cking knock on my door and they say 'I'm staying my sister lives here' and I can't f*cking believe that they can't knock. I'm feeling sick. I'm going to vomit on you all (pointing to everyone around) BLAHHHH. Get off this bus. No don't. He knows. He knows. He knows." This went on for about...twenty minutes. I was really uncomfortable but wasn't able to move because the bus was very full and I was at the back. Once the bus got to our stop, all the students ran off the bus to get away from her. Clearly, she was scaring some people.
I just met one of my new room mates. Her name is Kellie and she is from about 2 hours south of Perth!! Apparently another room mate, Emily, is also from about 2 hours south of Perth. I have aussy roomies!! YAY!!!
I am about to head over to hang out with some friends across the courtyard for the evening!! Yay friends!!

1 comment:

  1. Your trip sounds like it was lots of fun...hope you remembered to wear sunblock! Glad to hear that your room mates are finally moving in. Since they are aussie, perhaps some home visits are in your future?!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete