Home sweet Home

Home sweet Home
Palm Trees along the Swan River

Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Week of Class

So this was the first week of classes! My schedule is very conducive to sleeping in, which I am a huge fan of! Cell bio was the class that I had the most this week, since lecture meets twice, and lab and tutorial meet once each. We didn't have tutorial this week, though. The lecture itself is fairly boring. I can't really understand the professor because he has an indian/australian mixture of an accent, and he doesn't really say things the way that I am used to. He kind of just puts up slides and says what each slide is. I am hoping the book will be able to teach me a little bit more of what I need to know. Lab was very basic. We "learned" how to use a microscope, which I already know how to do from years of experience, and looked at some onion and ciliated protista. The microscopes are Olympus, so Rick would approve!
We didn't do much in sexology, which meets only once a week. The class is considered a psychology class and, from what I understand so far, we talk about various subjects such as sex slaves, differences in gender..ect ect.
Indiginous Australian Sport should be interesting. We learn about aussy-rules sports and how the differ from other sports and also why the athletes who play these sports are successful at what they do. We have a few short presentations to do in this class, but nothing huge.


Other news:

-My friend Kelsey and I went out and got a printer this week. We think it's probably a good investment because printing at the library is a) expensive and b) very hard because it is nearly impossible to find a computer to use. The printer itself cost 70 dollars, plus we got an extra ink cartridge and a stack of paper. We each paid about 50 dollars for it. Hopefully that will save us money in the long run. Talking with a girl who is in my cell bio class, she paid 15 dollars to print out the lab/tutorial/lecture notes just for this week. And thats only one class.
-The smoke detector in my room is going off because the battery is dying. I told the office but no one has been by to replace the batteries yet. It's very annoying because the intervals at which it beeps are becoming smaller. It's also loud.
-I am going to a Coldplay concert tomorrow (friday) night!! That should be very fun and entertaining!
-My room mate Stephanie (who is at Elon) has her 21st birthday on Sunday...so if you know her say Happy Birthday to her!!
-I gave up candy for lent. We'll see how that works out..so far so good, but it's only been a day and a half.
-I got a new phone (camara!!) because the free phone that I was given finally bit the dust. It was old and broken anyway. At least it was free.
-I ate a kangaroo hot dog. It was not good. I don't recommend it.
-The weater really cooled off this week...from the 100s down to upper 60s and lower 70s. I finally had to shut my bedroom window which had been open since the day I got here. I also had to break out the jeans and a sweatshirt. You all and probably thinking "I only wish it was that warm here at home" while we are all saying "why is it soo cold all of a sudden!". That's what happens when you become accustomed to very hot weather!!
-My tan is coming along. Believe me...it's better than any tan I get in the states!

That is all I can think of for now!!
Love,
Me

2 comments:

  1. Eeuuuwww...kangaroo hot dogs! I couldn't eat kangaroo...they are too cute!

    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready for some warm weather.
    A printer it's always the little things we get exicted about.
    Sounds like you better watch the sunburn just keep on putting on block whenever you even walk outside.
    I have no pictures..
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete